They say that money talks – but do you really understand what it is saying?
The Personal and Professional Development Program can help with your financial literacy – and now more than ever!
Marine and Family Programs is very excited to announce that the Personal & Professional Development Program has 5 newly credentialed Accredited Financial Counselors on staff:
- LouAnn Witmer, PFM Manager
- Alicia Durham, P&PD Advisor
- Mikel Laird, P&PD Advisor
- John McGovern, P&PD Advisor
- Ivy Prior, P&PD Advisor
Each of these individuals have passed the Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) Examination in order to be credentialed through the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE).
So what exactly does that mean for our community?
The Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) is a professional credential for financial planners that ensures they have met standards for ethics, education and practical experience in all aspects of personal finance! To achieve this credential, each needed to demonstrate proficiency, passion and a desire to help those with financial concerns, of course in addition to passing a very difficult credentialing test. The accreditation exam measured competency in a variety of topics including: retirement & estate planning, insurance, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, personal income taxation, credit card & debt management, budgeting and managing cash flows, credit reports, consumer debt, fraud and consumer protection, and many more!
This credential provides trust and confidence to the community – your financial educators are here to provide correct, relevant information on a variety of topics and in a way that meets our Marine’s, Sailors, and family member’s unique needs. Your financial counselors not only meet a standard, but they meet the standard.
“AFC® certification is the standard — training professionals to guide clients through life-cycle financial education to help them realize their goals and achieve lasting financial well-being.” – AFCPE
AFC’s are able to:
- Provide education for financial literacy and financial management principles
- Assist clients with indebtedness
- Work with clients to discover or change money management behaviors and attitudes
- Help customers identify financial goals and attainment strategies
- Assist clients with financial challenges/opportunities, making financial decisions or effectively making large purchases
- Deliver new perspectives on finances in terms of individuals and their environment
Congratulations to the Personal & Professional Development team for working diligently to always improve the quality of services offered to further enrich the lives of our community! For more information, or to schedule an appointment with one of our credentialed financial counselors please call 466-4201.